Call for participation in the One-Year Anniversary of the Ampatuan Massacre In The Philippines November 22, 2010Posted by jrki in Uncategorized.
Dear friends and colleagues,
I am writing to call for your participation and a show of support in commemorating the One-Year Anniversary of the Ampatuan Massacre In The Philippines. Please see the details below along with suggested actions for your participation:
The World Association of Community Radio Broadcasters, AMARC and its member in the Philippines KODAO Productions are calling on all community radio broadcasters to participate in the Global Day of Action on November 23 to mark the one-year anniversary of the world’s biggest atrocity perpetrated against journalists. This Global Day of Action follows a Resolution of AMARC 10 that was unanimously approved in La Plata, Argentina on 13 November. The Global Day of Action is being commemorated in coordination with the International Federation of Journalists (IFJ) and its affiliate, the National Union of Journalists of the Philippines (NUJP).
Please see the attached Resolution (A Resolution Condemning The Ampatuan Massacre.doc)
On November 23, 2009, 33 journalists and media workers were brutally murdered in a massacre of 58 people in Ampatuan town, Maguindanao in the southern Philippines.
AMARC is joining the IFJ and many other international organisations that are coordinating global activities, including online Facebook and Twitter protests, while the NUJP and its local partners in the Philippines will run an intense program of events throughout the Philippines in the lead up to and on November 23. AMARC will coordinated efforts with AMARC and NUJP-member Kodao Productions.
IFJ Asia-Pacific will join the NUJP in the Philippines for an international mission in the week of November 23 to provide solidarity to the families and colleagues of those murdered, to support the NUJP in its tireless campaigning for justice, and to conduct advocacy with the Government of Benigno Aquino III to demand justice and an end to the culture of impunity that has gripped the Philippines for far too long.
Join the campaign and remind our colleagues there that we remain firmly committed to supporting them as they continue their struggle for justice and protection.
November 23, 2010: Global Day of Action
What you can do:
- Organise for a delegation from your organisation to meet with Philippine Ambassadors and consular officials in your home countries, to alert them to your concerns for journalist colleagues in the Philippines and to demand that all those responsible for the Ampatuan town massacre are brought to justice.
- Deliver a letter to the President of the Philippines, Benigno Aquino III, via the Philippines consulate or embassy in your country – click here to see the templates and fact sheets. (please see the attached “Template Letter to the Philippine Government.doc’ and ‘template letter to the Philippine Embassies.doc)
- Write to Foreign Ministers and officials of your home countries to request that your Government demand that the Philippines administration takes action to address the massacre and achieve justice.
- Participate in online protest actions which will be organised through social media such as Facebook and Twitter. We will provide more detail on these actions shortly.
Lead-up to November 23:
Affiliates, partners and colleagues are encouraged to begin a series of actions that will build up to the Global Day of Action on November 23. Here are some ways you can show your support:
- Prepare a condolence register or book which can be signed by members of your organisation and all concerned individuals and organizations. Share the signatures with AMARC, IFJ, the NUJP and Kodao Productions.
- · Write letters of support and solidarity to Kodao Productions and the NUJP. Send them to firstname.lastname@example.org and the IFJ at email@example.com or to IFJ Asia-Pacific at firstname.lastname@example.org to be delivered to the NUJP.
- Encourage your colleagues working in the media to prepare and run news and feature reports on the Maguindanao atrocity and the continuing efforts to secure justice – do not let this issue fade.
- Let everyone know about the Global Day of Action on November 23, and continue to express your outrage at the Maguindano atrocity.
Please send photos and information about your protest actions to email@example.com, the IFJ at firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com. Photos from last year’s solidarity actions can be seen at the IFJ’s flickr page here. Please add your own photos, with the tags “ampatuan massacre” or “philippines massacre”. Your reports will be compiled and shared publicly by Kodao Productions, the IFJ and the NUJP to show solidarity with our colleagues in the Philippines and the strength of a united global demand for justice.
Please also visit the following links for updates and further details:
Once again, I request for your active participation in condemning what was one of the most horrific atrocity ever on fellow journalists.
Thanking you and with warmest regards, Suman
AMARC Asia Pacific
Fax: +977 1 5521714
Phone: +977 1 5554811